A New Restaurant
Temporary Reroute of the Original KT Between Miles 26 & 28 – Just North of the Leota Trailhead
The Knobstone Trail traverses actively managed forest areas and will have periodic temporary reroutes for user safety during management activities. Beginning on or shortly after December 13, 2021 the route of the Knobstone Trail in Clark State Forest will be rerouted while activities take place. The original route will be used after the completion of management activities. Click Here to view, download, and print a map of the reroute.
Belmont – Hickory Shades Motel – 5714 State Rd 46, Nashville, IN 47448 – 812-988-4694 – www.hickoryshadesmotel.com – offer pet & bike friendly room from $39 – group rates available – 7.2 miles from Nashville. The hotel also has the on-site Zoo’Opolis Bird Park – (812) 764-4980 – Zoo-OpolisBirdPark@Outlook.com – 5718 State Road 46, Nashville, IN 47448 – Wed, Fri & Sat. 11am – 1:30pm.
Medora Resupply – A Dollar General Store is now open in Medora at 2953 IN Hwy 235 – 812-966-0840
Indian Hill Road Closure
Indian Hill Road has been closed at the rail road track just South of Highway 45. The Yellowwood State Forest posted the following on their website.
Yellowwood State Forest advisories—Due to the unexpected closure of the county road that the
Tecumseh Trail uses to reconnect with state land to the north and because of No Trespassing signs erected by the railroad for public safety, the Tecumseh Trail is closed at the section shown on the map until further notice. (To view the map, click on the blue text)
To reach the Indian Hill Trailhead parking lot, drivers can detour via Plum Creek Road. From the East it is best to head South out of Helmsburg on Helmsburg Road and take Plum Creek Road West to intersect Indian Creek Road. From there head North. From the West it is best to take Plumb Creek Road East from the Needmore area. At the intersection of Indian Hill Road head North. Discussions are underway between the rail road and the Brown County Highway department. Hopefully, the road will reopen in the not too distance future.
Bridge At Mile 79.3 Just North of the Frank Fisher Barn Has Been Repaired & Enhanced – Nov. 3
- During the the winter of 2020 the bridge at mile 79.3 was damaged by a large tree. Last Spring supplies were carried in to the site. On the last week of October and the first week of Nov. The bridge was repaired. Guardrails were added to the bridge which formerly did not have guardrails.
|Another Shelter Has Been Built at Mile 145.2
Thanks to the generosity of the DOF there is now a new shelter at mile 145.2. It is called the “Backcountry Shelter”. It is ready for use.
Indian Hill Shelter & Reroute – Mile 134
- At Indian Hill, mile 134, a shelter has been constructed by the HHC along with a reroute that takes about 1/2 mile of the trail off of Indian Hill Road. There is a trailhead parking lot where the trail intersects Indian Hill Road just South of the creek and train tracks.
KHTA Town Guide Update – May 2020
- Unfortunately, over the winter the gas station – stores at Leesville and Medora were closed. This eliminates the Leesville resupply route.
Resupply is still possible in Medora through the Post Office. Mile 64.2 Sparksville Park to Medora is 5 miles or Mile 69.7Mile Hemlock Bluffs Nature Preserve to Medora is 5.3 miles
Also, the Post Office at Norman remains available. Mile 79.2 Frank Fisher Barn is 2.5 miles to Norman or Mile 82.1 Hwy 50 is 3 miles to Norman – or Mile 86.6 Polk Patch Road (Tr 13) is 2.5 miles from Norman.
Hoosier National Forest Trail
- For conditions in the HNF, check their website at Hoosier National Forest . You can check weather conditions in the Bloomington area at Bloomington Area Weather Conditions.
- The bridge across the White River just beyond the Sparksville County Park trailside camp can be flooded at times of prolonged rainfall.
Knobstone & Tecumseh Trail
- Trail flooding. The Knobstone Trail is more likely to be inaccessible in times of flooding in Southern Indiana because of flooded access roads than because of trail flooding. Check local weather reports and Jackson/Washington State Forest office for closure information: (812) 358-2160.
- To check on conditions on the Tecumseh Trail in the Morgan-Monroe & Yellow Forests, go to the HHC website
- Timber harvest trail closures: All areas of state forests are regularly subject to harvest rotations. Check the DNR Knobstone Trail website for detailed trail information: http://www.in.gov/dnr/outdoor/4224.htm
You may find additional at (MMSF) http://www.in.gov/dnr/forestry/4816.htm and